- 1 (20-ounce) Can of Green Jackfruit in Brine
AMAZON Link – you can buy it from anywhere – make sure its YOUNG jackfruit in BRINE (not syrup – water may be ok)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil or ¼ Cup Water
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- ½ Cup Water
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika (optional)
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Any flavor BBQ sauce – as long as its vegan – if not sure ask me I will let you know!
- Drain and rinse jackfruit using a colander, cut the cores out (like you do pineapple) and shred the fruit.
- Heat oil or water on medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in jackfruit and add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper and salt, stirring to coat.
- Add water and barbecue sauce. Simmer, stirring until sauce thickens, for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, cut sandwich buns in half, top with barbecue jackfruit.
Tips and Ideas
If you can’t find canned jackfruit at your local supermarket try a local asian market, they often carry it – and at a better price too!
What else you will need
Buns/rolls of your choice, again check if its vegan, most breads are and are easy to ID. Ingredients that are common allergens are usually in BOLD (Wheat, soy, egg, milk, nuts etc so you can see if it has milk/eggs in it)